Children share their experiences and proposals on the impact of drug use in the family.
Following an initial publication in 2022 on children whose parents use drugs, the Pompidou Group has continued research on this topic by giving 110 women who use drugs, in 11 different countries, the opportunity to provide their testimonies, which appear in a second volume entitled: We are warriors – Women who use drugs reflect on parental drug use, their paths of consumption and access to services.
With this third volume, 33 children in five countries are given the floor with the aim of making their experiences visible and ensuring that their voices are listened to, thus breaking the silence that surrounds the impact of parental drug use on children and letting them know that they are not alone.
Children were approached by services that already work with them, mainly drug treatment or harm reduction services, although in some cases child protection services were also involved.
The children’s voices are expressed with delicacy, introspection, firmness and sometimes confusion or uncertainty. Only by listening to children and giving them feedback can an effective, human rights-based, participatory children’s rights agenda be transformed into action.
The Children and families affected by parental drug use series comprises four volumes:
- Volume I Children whose parents use drugs – Promising practices and recommendations
- Volume II We are warriors – Women who use drugs reflect on parental drug use, their paths of consumption and access to services
- Volume III Listen to the silence of the child – Children share their experiences and proposals on the impact of drug use in the family
- Volume IV Children and parents affected by drug use – An overview of programmes and actions for comprehensive and non-stigmatising services and care
Table of contents:
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- CHAPTER 1 – INTRODUCTION
- CHAPTER 2 – THE INVISIBLE MILLIONS
- CHAPTER 3 – CHILDREN’S VOICES
- CHAPTER 4 – FINAL REMARKS
- APPENDIX I – PEOPLE AND SERVICES THAT PARTICIPATED IN THE RESEARCH
- APPENDIX II – BASIC REQUIREMENTS TO GUARANTEE THAT CHILDREN’S PARTICIPATION IS SAFE, ETHICAL, INCLUSIVE AND IMPACTFUL